Archive for April, 2009

Right Message, Flawed Messenger

Author: Rory B. Bellows

What Republican could disagree with Steve Lonegan’s message? He wants local control, an end to onerous mandates like Council on Affordable Housing, a flat tax of less than 3%, an end to corporate taxes, less power for state unions and more economic freedom?

The problem is the messenger. Lonegan often devolves into shouting, high pitched denunciations of Chris Christie. The focus of his campaign has often been on keeping liberals like Chris Christie off the ballot and not electing solid conservatives like himself. You never win a campaign when your core message is the other guy sucks. Granted, Lonegan entered this campaign as a decided underdog. However, a no name conservative State Senator like Joe Pennacio got 40% of the vote in a Republican primary for Senate last summer. Libertarian conservative Murray Sabrin received 14%, and that was with a slash and burn kamikaze effort that was the worst run campaign since Pickett’s charge (For full disclosure I proudly voted for Prof. Sabrin’s ideals of limited government and freedom. Combined that is 54% of the primary electorate. There is a sizeable base in the New Jersey Republican primary electorate that is conservatives of some varying degree. A positive, message based campaign could have reached those people and elevated Lonegan to the status of serious contender.

I have often been critical of the state party establishment in this space. And they deserve it. They have put forth bad candidates, run awful campaigns and are 0 fer the last 8 years. The 54% of the primary electorate that identify with conservative candidates are not enough to win a general election. While you don’t have to compromise on your beliefs to reach the other 46%, you don’t have to antagonize. And antagonizing the party establishment means a fractured party in the fall. A fractured party in the fall is the only way the Republican Candidate can lose to a washed up stiff like Jon the Taxer. The public hates him and if he wasn’t paying Carla Katz Arod type money I’m sure she would hate him.

It may be too late but Lonegan needs to keep driving his message and let the chips from the Christie “scandals” fall where they may.

Advertisements

Boycott GM and Chrysler

Author: Rory B. Bellows

No freedom loving person should ever purchase a car from these companies again. Under the Obama regime’s new central planning scheme the government will now own 50% of GM with the UAW getting 39%. Under a new restructuring plan, the UAW will own 55% of Chrysler.

There aren’t two more failed entities in this country than unions and government, sometimes it’s hard to tell which has been the more destructive force in American life, and now they own the majority of two car companies. This is an insult to free markets and the American investor. In the GM deal unions now own nearly 40% of the company despite holding 10 million dollars in bonds. Investors own $27 million in bonds but now get only 10% of the company. Only in Chairman Obama’s warped world is that viewed as an acceptable solution.

Boycott GM and Chrysler.

Specter’s defection

Author: Rory B. Bellows

Following the coverage of Arlen Specter’s switch to the Democrats is leaving me a little baffled. Many are attributing this to a shift in the Republican Party to a southern based, culturally conservative outfit. That may be true. I do think the Republican Party needs to de-emphasize social issues. It’s not what wakes people up in the morning anymore.

Maine Republican Olympia Snowe penned an op-ed in the State Sponsored News Agency Paper The New York Times in which she wrote:

It is for this reason that we should heed the words of President Ronald Reagan, who urged, “We should emphasize the things that unite us and make these the only ‘litmus test’ of what constitutes a Republican: our belief in restraining government spending, pro-growth policies, tax reduction, sound national defense, and maximum individual liberty.” He continued, “As to the other issues that draw on the deep springs of morality and emotion, let us decide that we can disagree among ourselves as Republicans and tolerate the disagreement.”

But that is exactly why Specter faced a primary challenge. Pat Toomey only ran against Specter because of his vote on the stimulus package and its outrageous level of spending, borrowing and the tax increases both of those things would lead to. By Snowe’s own words, Specter deserved that primary.

Now, I’m not really sure it is a good thing to be primarying Republican incumbents. It’s not good for the party and it hurts the cause of limited government because we end up with Democrats who go against us 100% of the time. I have no love for Arlen Specter. I think he is a big government liberal. I think Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins are big government Republicans. But 6 out of 10 times Snowe and Collins are going to vote with Republicans. If you live in New Jersey, you know the type of Northeastern liberal who would replace them. Northeastern liberals are eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil. They are no good to the core and have contributed nothing to human society. They are functionally useless people and we need to do whatever we can to keep them from the halls of power. If that means tolerating the Snowe’s and Collins’ of the world, so be it.

Arlen Specter switches to the Dems

Author: Rory B. Bellows

Worried about being primaried out by former Congressmen Pat Toomey, Pennsylvania Senator Arlen Specter has taken the coward’s way out and switched to the Democrtas.

Whoever came up with this one should resign

Author: Rory B. Bellows

If you think having a 747 fly below building tops in New York City and have it trailed by military aircraft is a bad idea you are smarter than an Obama Administration official.

What might this remind poeple of?

Establishment worries

Author: Rory B. Bellows

Should Steve Lonegan win the Republican nomination for Governor in the June 2nd primary, there are reports that the establishment may not let him have the courtesey off choosing his own state party chairman to serve until the campaign is over.

This is foolish. In past elections, insurgent candidates have thrown the establishment a bone and nominated an acceptable party chair to serve the customary 6 month interim term. These days we have a new Lt. Governor position and Lonegan could choose a nominee to the laregly symbolic position as an effort to unite the party.

However, while Lonegan will make efforts to unite the party they must be returned. Having insiders, as opposed to the nominee, pick the party chair is a clear signal to Lonegan’s supporters that they have their place in the party but it is not at the head of the table. One of the reasons the New jersey Republican Party is do disspirited is because conservatives are constantly reminded that they are not welcomed guests. New Jersey conservatives get invited to the party because they kicked the door in, not because the host wants them there.

Socialized medicine is now a reality

Author: Rory B. Bellows

Say goodbye to America. The anti-American revolutionaries are going to get their way and the destruction of America, begining with socialized medicine, has begun.

I hope Texas secedes.


Pages